Brixwork Real Estate Marketing provides boutique marketing services for the real estate industry in Canada & USA. We are a small team expanding quickly and are looking to fill a position for an entry-level Junior Web-Developer with some basic knowledge in Search Engines & SEO, Social Media & Link Propagation, and of course, a great zest to learn & develop their skills further.
The chosen candidate must be a first-term co-op applicant with studies in the related fields (web development, software development or front-end/UI design), and will be part of a pilot program for a slightly different website & marketing angle.
This position has potential for a full-time web developer & SEO engineer position, so students in their final year of study looking for full time employment in the long term will be given a preferential treatment.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills:
- Great handle of written & spoken English, punctuation
- HTML Tag Structure and basic understanding
- Basics of CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
- Google & Keywords
- A good sense of mathematics, graphs & charts, metrics etc.
- Social Media & Sharing Environment
The preferred candidates will have the following traits:
- A zeal for achieving numbers, targets & goals
- Take instructions well from senior / superior team members, and be open to learning
- Be resourceful and quick thinking to solve problems
- Know when to ask a question, and when to do a Google search
- Efficiency driven and utilitarian
- Respect for data security, privacy & security
The Work, Location & Details:
- You will be working out of our Gastown studio with all equipment provided. Bring your great attitude (and a packed lunch, or explore some great lunch spots around us)
- You will be working Tuesday-Saturday, 8 hours a day with a 0.5 hour lunch break (75 hours pay per 2 week pay period), 9AM~5PM
- Your co-op pay will be $13/hr for the 4 months duration
- You will start as early as next week (May 9th), if not even earlier depending on how well the interview goes
- You will be part of a team of 6 people, and will be working closely with 2 of the teammates as we nurture & train you
Candidates MUST be (for legal and other reasons):
- A Canadian citizen or a Permanent Resident with no working restrictions (Working/Student Visas do not qualify)
- Free of criminal history
- Enrolled in a post-secondary school in BC recognized by the BCIC
How To Apply:
Write an email to info at brixwork dot com (you can also find this email address on our website, www.brixwork.com) with the following conditions met:
- The email subject must contain “Co-Op Web Developer Position”
- Attach your resume
- Attach a cover letter, or write in your email, detail what you want to learn, achieve & work on after graduation.
- Attach examples of your work, either live on a website, or code snippets.
- Don’t phone us, please. We’re busy as it is with client phone calls. We will review your resume on our own time and get back to you when we are ready.
Changes In Pricing
To offer the best-in-class boutique web/print/branding services for our real estate professionals, we are introducing some changes to our services. With expansion of services & hardware facilities as well as operations cost increases, we will be implementing changes in pricing effective on the next billing cycle. As of April 21st (beginning of next cycle) the following rates will apply to our design services:
$90/hr (billed at 15 minute increments, unlike the industry standard of 1 hour or 30 minute increments)
Administrative, or Photo/Data Exchange Only
$36/hr (billed at 30 minute increments)
Mailwalk (Canada Post) set up, packaging & delivery to the outlet (Applicable only to Vancouver customers)
$55 Per Mailwalk up to 1,000 units (not including postage costs owed to Canada Post)
$10 per 500 units additional.
Monthly Subscription Cost changes will be effective as of monthly billing dates of May 21st and after:
Brixwork Website Base: $55 (previously $50)
MLS® Reciprocity Add-On: $25 (no change)
Enable both commercial & residential: $25 (no change)
Enable Rental module: $25 (previously $20)
WordPress Blog: $15 (previously $10)
Full rate sheet is here: https://www.brixwork.com/realtors/our-services/real-estate-website-design/
Facility Upgrades & Expansion
Our production force has grown to double the size since a year ago. In addition to Rebecca & Jovan (Graphic Designer & Web Developer, respectively) we now have Cindy-Lynn (Graphic Designer) and Bruno Fontanella (Web Developer) to help you with your needs. Our office has also been significantly renovated with new computers, new monitors & mounts, and of course more workstations to accommodate the larger workforce.
Q: When was the last price change?
A: 2014 was our last rate change to our labour rates, while monthly fees have remained the same since 2012.
Q: Does the price change have any relation to USD/CAD exchange rate?
A: Partially yes. Costs of computers as well as the web based software we use to keep ourselves organized has gone up due to the weakened Canadian Dollar.
Q: I’ve became a subscriber very recently (less than 6 months ago) so it seems a bit soon to raise my prices, no?
A: While our labour rates will increase for everybody at the same time, we can definitely keep your monthly fees the same for the first six months of your subscription. We need you to email us your domain and the date of your first subscription invoice or the invoice number (if it’s less than 6 months ago) so we can freeze the price until the 6th monthly fee point.
Q: When’s the cut-off for design of marketing material and/or new website customization at the old rate?
A: Any orders placed on or before (confirmed by email to firstname.lastname@example.org) April 18th (Monday) can be processed under the current rates, since we operate on a 1 business day turn-around to start on inbound inquiries. Our billing cut-off is April 20th, after which point the new labour rates will become effective.
If you have any questions please email us at email@example.com and we will be happy to answer them.
Today we are proud to announce the release of Brixwork version 4.1 with many new enhancements, including the usage of the new reCAPTCHA V2 API for human-verification of your email forms to fight spam. Of course, going from version 4.09 to 4.1 involves more than just this upgrade, and we’ll get to those updates later.
Bye Bye to The Old CAPTCHA
It was hard to read, even on a good day, with the best eyes, or the best reading glasses. However, it was the lesser of the two evils we had to choose… Once spam starts to flow through some of our websites, it could have put the entire server under a spam black-list, jeopardizing lead-generation capacities for all of our real estate clients! Having a Google-provisioned solid anti-spam measure was a must.
Hello, reCAPTCHA Version 2.0
The new version makes human-verification much easier, so you can get more leads from your website. In fact, in some instances, based on mouse movement or previous browsing history of a specific machine, often the check can be bypassed altogether! In cases where the machine does not immediately determine that the viewer is safe, it will pop up a simple image-based question like this:
Brixwork version 4.1 also packs many other upgrades culminated over the few months of development, and here is a list:
- Multiple main-images for pages now available (while this won’t affect existing sites, it opens up a whole new realm of possibilities for tight-knit designs with great visual effects)
- Buildings list label sizes fixed.
- Double slashes accidentally added when typing in URLs would pull up wrong pages, and that has been fixed.
- Setting the listing brokerage/office on self-loaded listings is now easier.
- And many other internal fixes to optimize processes and reduce bugs.
Brixwork Real Estate Marketing uses Google Drive because it saves time and leads to increased efficiency, and makes project management between multiple team members easy.
Benefits of Using The Cloud-Based Drive System
- Anything on Google Drive can be viewed from any internet-enabled device if you log in
- You can easily access your files on-the-go with the Android or iPhone app
- If your devices are lost, stolen, or damaged, all your files are still safe and accessible
- It’s easy to share files with clients directly from the cloud
How Realtors® Can Use Google Drive & Share
- Client listing files (photo, data, floor plan, etc.)
- Domain registration info (where you bought it, what the login is)
- CRA/IRS account numbers and login information for tax reporting
Making Your Personal Easy With Google Drive
- We’ve all had those moments of frantically searching for an old invoice to claim a warranty repair on an expensive device. Google Drive serves as a digital backup and can solve the problem of misplaced receipts by scanning and storing your receipts into the cloud drive.
- You can also use the system for personal things such as storing your eye glasses or contact lens prescriptions, along with booking logs for vacations.
- Private insurance information & claim instructions can be stored online.
We recommend using Google Apps with your website domain so that your email is set up under your domain for a professional presence (such as firstname.lastname@example.org), and you also get google drive storage & calendar/contact sync. The Brixwork team can set up the websites & domains to behave as such.
Need Help Setting Up The Cloud System & Training?
Darci Laroque offers consultation with setting up Google Apps calendar/email/contact sync between iPhones/iPads/Laptops, as well as cloud drive & CRM set up for more efficient workflows. Visit Darci’s website for more information at http://www.darcitalks.com.
The position has been filled. Thank you for your applications.
Brixwork is looking for a junior graphic designer to handle the day-to-day tasks of handling listing feature sheets, print media & email newsletters for our Realtor® clients. You will be in charge of placing photos & data of properties, setting up Mailchimp newsletters, business card/folder/presentation layouts, and some social media management.
Junior Graphic Designer
Technical Knowledge & Skills
- InDesign & Illustrator skills
- Photoshop Skills
- Comfortable On Macs
- Knowledge of typography.
- Knowledge of colour spaces (CMYK, RGB & Pantone).
Experience & Qualifications
- Minimum 1 year in design school or equivalent self-obtained education.
- Preferred 1 year in any type of customer service or administrative/office experience.
- Legally able to work in Canada.
- Attention to detail & proof reading data.
- Good handle of English & clear communication skills.
- Able to work in a team environment and under pressures of deadlines.
- Good organization skills to keep track of multiple projects.
- Willingness to learn & progress with new skills and techniques.
- Work ethics, and able to work without supervision.
What We Are Offering
- Part time hours to start (2~3 days a week, Mon/Tue/Wed)
- $12/hr probation wage for first 2 months, then up to $14/hr.
- Opportunity to grow to a full time position.
- Opportunity to learn & grow in a Vancouver-based start-up with years of operation history.
- Free Coffee & Lattes all day long.
- iMac workstation provided.
How To Apply
Email only please – to Jeff Kee (email@example.com). Things to include:
- Resume & Brief Cover letter
- Email subject including “Junior Graphic Designer Position”
- Graphic Portfolio: include at least one raw InDesign and one raw Illustrator file for inspection.
Every company has to evolve, and what better way to keep fresh than to keep rebranding over and over, every 2 years? That’s why Brixwork is going through a re-branding, and here are some candidates we wanted to share with you.
We are an innovative, high-tech organization constantly moving forward with our focus on mobile experience as well as researching better ways to get noticed by Google. What better way to portray that than a Terminator 3 style branding & logo scheme, with heavy textures all around? Top that with gradients and bevels to create a truly 3D looking effect that are almost impossible to print reliably and we have a potential winner. Oh, and did we mention using the exact same font for the tagline as well as the logo to double-shove our brand down your throat?
A logo has to be friendly, like a slobbering 9 week old puppy. That’s why we tried a combination of the Comic Sans font, along with a hand-drawn style font called “5thGrader” to give it that childish warmth. And nothing says “I’m important” like TRIPLE exclamation marks at the end!!! As a decorative measure we put the tagline on a curved path too. Flat is just boring! Oh, and did you notice the flower? People love flowers! Give them flowers and exclamation points!!!
Trajan Pro is a great font. It was used by just about every other real estate agent in West Vancouver in the last 10 years or so, after it was heavily abused by too many Hollywood movie titles & posters in the 2000’s. If everybody else is using it, it must be good, so we are SOLD! After all, who cares about standing out – it’s about fitting in like the rest. Monkey-see, Monkey-do should be how marketing works. Forget originality! We improved it further by putting some gradients on to make it even less versatile to use on any other media than digital, then topped it with a generic fancy scrolling curvy thingy to make it look even more kitschy.
Cast Your Votes for a Chance to WIN!
You have three wonderful candidates to choose from to become our next logo, and we appreciate your feedback. Please comment below, and share this page with your friends on Facebook, to help us get the popular opinion.
Among those who cast your ballots by commenting on this post, or on Facebook, your prize is a unicorn – the same one that Kim Jong-Un found in the mountains of North Korea.
Written on April 1st by Jeff Kee
This morning Brixwork Real Estate Marketing Inc. version 4.04 was released with numerous new bug fixes and some new features.
4.04 Release Notes (February 20th, 2015)
- When featuring MLS® listings, the screen would freeze after processing. This has been resolved.
- Menu labels on the new navigation system glitch fixed (only applicable to sites set up after February 2015)
- Maps within the Homes & Buildings sections no longer affected by mouse scroll or screen swipe.
- You can choose whether the street direction come before or after the street name. In Vancouver, “W 4th Avenue” is common, whereas in Calgary “3rd Street SW” is more common. This default can be set on a site-wide basis, and can be set on each individual property so it can be overridden on a case-by-case as well.
- Instagram feed has been updated as per slight security changes on the Instagram servers which was blocking our API calls.
Future Development Plans Coming Up
The Brixwork system is a forever evolving platform. We don’t charge a subscription fee just out of formality – the funds our clients pay goes towards betterment of the system as a whole for the benefit of all our clients against their competition outside.
- Dashboard to include more insights, potentially directly integrating Google Analytics into the page.
- Duplicate building module detection mechanism.
- MLS Search forms updated with slide-out or in mechanisms.
- More (yes, even more) upgrades pertaining to URL controls for SEO purposes.
- LinkedIN share buttons made universal.
October 29, 2020
Custom content pages are a gold-mine for Google™ and even better you can curate the pages to your audience and entice readers to stay longer. Take a peek at what the 3 key benefits of community pages are.
November 12, 2020
Join our team to create beautiful visuals in one of the most active niches in Canada - marketing real estate. We are a boutique firm with in-house design only.
September 18, 2020
Good design, consistency and originality on Instagram posts will help you create an impressive feed that will outshine all of the other thousands of Real Estate professionals. Check out the do's and don'ts for Instagram!
July 15, 2020
Modern business requires modern tools. Here are a list of critical cloud software & apps that every real estate professional can use to increase efficiency & close more deals.
April 14, 2020
There is increased online presence & brand awareness for real estate during COVID-19 crisis. Check out great ways to increase your website engagement here!
September 17, 2019
July 15, 2019
Hello Edmonton! Brixwork has completed the integration of the EREB MLS® IDX (Reciprocity) system. We are bringing our beautiful website templates with great search engine & social media performance to Edmonton real estate agents! Take a look through our website design options!
June 6, 2019
Brixwork has been providing project marketing services for new builds for years. As demand for more new boutique townhome/condo projects increases, so does the need for higher-level project marketing. No matter how big or small, your project deserves a proper brand presence that'll set you apart from the rest.
May 7, 2019
High performance teams and boutique brokerages need the best online image possible. Brixwork combines functional features and exceptional visuals to create custom website designs built to stand out!
April 11, 2019
There are more real estate website platforms than ever before in the marketplace. Choosing the right platform for your business is critical to meet your business goals and be efficient with your time. Let’s compare how WordPress vs Brixwork works for Realtors® and their websites.
February 20, 2019
Is your website getting the numbers you want? Our bold designs are proven to give your website results by improving 3 key on-site metrics. Don’t settle for a cookie-cutter design like every Realtor®.
January 8, 2019
It’s hard to predict the real estate market. The last downturn saw 1/3 of Realtors® hang their licenses and walk away. What’s your next move?